The weather's getting warmer, and it's time to start thinking about the upcoming summer travel season. Between astronomical gas prices, checked bag fees and hotel resort charges, there's usually little room left in the budget for the clothes, accessories and other essentials that make travel chicer and easier. Well, as I recently learned at a Summer Travel Essentials event held at the T.J.Maxx/Marshalls compound on 6th Avenue and 18th Street, a bit of savvy shopping can help you avoid having to sacrifice one iota of your travel style.
And, as you likely already know, when it comes to getting great deals on designer merchandise, T.J.Maxx and Marshalls can't be beat. T.J.Maxx and Marshalls buyers work with designers year-round to score the most coveted, on-trend pieces at fabulous prices. That means you can pick up current
season designer brands for up to 20% to 60% less than other retailers. And we're not just talking a few pieces here and there. Rather, T.J.Maxx and Marshalls stores receive over 10,000 pieces of new merchandise every week
. So every time you visit the store, you'll find new and exciting clothes, accessories, home goods and gift items that you likely hadn't seen on your previous visit. I pretty much grew up on Marshalls (indeed, it was my mom's favorite store), so I certainly didn't need convincing that the store was a great value, but my recent visit opened my eyes to just how current and on-trend Marshalls has become. For example, Marshalls now carries an impressive selection of European designer merchandise, including Gucci shoes and Yves Saint Laurent handbags, which I had a very hard time resisting!
And, being experts in the field of savvy spending, the folks from T.J.Maxx and Marshalls have come up with the following tips for being a smart and stylish traveler:
- To avoid spending extra money on airline fees, purchase a digital luggage scale. Always weigh your luggage before you fly to dodge unanticipated costs.
- Don't let baggage restrictions affect your travel wardrobe. Purchase lightweight luggage to ensure you can pack more of your favorite fashionable frocks.
- Increased security at airports has made organization key while traveling. Purchase travel accessories like messenger bags and travel document organizers. This will help keep you organized and hands-free so you're able to tote additional items like luggage, snacks, books and strollers.
- Don't let travel make you sleep-deprived. Purchase neck pillows in bold colors and prints to help you sleep sound wherever you are.
- Black is the most popular color for luggage, but over the past few years color and prints have begun to emerge as must-haves. To avoid an unintended bag swap at the airport, look for luggage in different prints and colors so your piece is easy to spot while still being stylish.
- Arrive in style. Be a smart packer and use space-saving packing cubes and shirt folders to prevent wrinkles in your apparel. Your wardrobe will still look great when you arrive at your final destination.
T.J.Maxx and Marshalls each have a fabulous selection of summer travel essentials, so be sure to stop by the stores when you're stocking up for your summer travel adventures. GIVEAWAY! The kind folks from T.J.Maxx and Marshalls generously have provided me with a $50 gift card to give away to one lucky Macaroni Kid subscriber!
Here's how to enter:
- Leave a comment below telling me why you'd like to win (this part is mandatory).
- Want an extra entry? "Like" Macaroni Kid Manhattan East Side on Facebook by clicking here, and then leave a separate comment below telling me you've done so.
- Want another extra entry? Follow @MacaroniKidNYC on Twitter and leave a separate comment below telling me that you've done so. Be sure to include your Twitter handle in the comment or it won't count!
- You can only enter once via commenting regarding why you'd like to win, a second time via "liking" Macaroni Kid on Facebook and a third time via following @MacaroniKidNYC on Twitter.
- As always, you must be a Macaroni Kid subscriber to be eligible to win. Not a subscriber? Click here to sign up (it's free and you'll love it)!
- I'll use Random.org to draw one lucky winner from all eligible entries received by 5pm on Thursday May 10, 2012. No purchase necessary to win. Open only to U.S. residents and you must be age 18 or over to enter. Odds of winning depend on number of entries received. Void where prohibited by law. Good luck!