Check out the full event calendar here but below are my Top 10 picks for events and activities happening in and around the Upper East Side this week. Don't miss out on all the fun, and please be sure to let them know you saw it in Macaroni Kid NYC Upper East Side! Events are subject to change or cancellation. Please confirm events before attending.
TOP 10 for the Week
Friday, June 18th
1. Celebrating Juneteenth: MCNY presents FREEDOM SONGS featuring Kenyatta Emmanuel & Shanelle Gabriel - Join us for FREEDOM SONGS featuring Kenyatta Emmanuel & Shanelle Gabriel, an afternoon of song and spoken word reflections celebrating freedom and commemorating the ending of American slavery. This seated, outdoor event will take place on the Museum's front terrace. Juneteenth is the oldest nationally celebrated commemoration of the ending of slavery in the United States. Dating back to 1865, it was on June 19th that the Union soldiers, led by Major General Gordon Granger, landed at Galveston, Texas with news that the war had ended and that the enslaved were now free.
2. Movies Under the Stars: A Dog's Purpose @ Twenty Four Sycamores Park - Join NYC Parks and the New York City Mayor's Office of Media and Entertainment for a free film! This heartwarming comedy-drama follows a dog as he is reincarnated as different breeds belonging to various owners. Over the course of multiple lifetimes, the canine's existence intersects with that of a young boy who rescued him in 1962. Rated PG. Movies begin at dusk. You should arrive before 8:30 p.m. to get your spot. Bring a blanket to sit on. This event is FREE and open to the public, but seating is limited.
Saturday, June 19th
3. Improv 4 Kids/Teens Central Park - Join Andrea Saturday mornings to play and learn while maintaining safe socially distant ad mask-wearing guidelines. Meet Andrea 5 minutes before class time at the Fountain. The class will move to a safe spot where they can have a little separation from the crowds. If running a little late you may have to go looking for the group but usually not hard to find. They're the ones having the most fun. These sessions are RAIN or SHINE. During inclement weather, the class meets under the Terrace.
4. Father's Day Weekend Kids Party Cruise - With Guest Appearance by GRU & MINIONS! A Fun-Filled Family Adventure! 2 Floors Climate-controlled. Free pictures with characters. Free face painting/free balloon twisting, music, dancing, clowns, magic show, and much more! Food, snacks, and beverages are available for purchase.
5. 16th Annual NYC Kidsfest - We're super thrilled to bringing you an incredible live and socially distanced festival!!! Join us as we pack the weekend of June 19th and 20th with loads of performing artists, storytelling workshops, raffles, kung fu, music, and dance. This festival will be LIVE and children will have the opportunity to enjoy and engage in performances and workshops with some of New York’s finest performing artists!!!
Sunday, June, 20th
6. The Amazing Father's Day Scavenger Hunt in Times Square - POGO Events presents The Amazing Father's Day Scavenger Hunt. A series of clues leads you around Times Square performing physical and mental challenges along the way. This hunt celebrates dads and all they do in a fun, interactive way!
7. FunikiJam's Totally Awesome Summer Show - Last year, FunikiJam was touring the world and starring in their own TV show in China. Now, they are helping families say “Goodbye, Lockdown” and "Hello, Off-Broadway" when The FunkiJam Show: Totally Awesome Summer opens at Actors Temple Theatre. What happens when Agent Melody thinks she is going to have a Totally Boring Summer? Grab your passport, fanny pack, and neon maracas because Captain Jam is launching a one-of-a-kind musical vacation around the world and back in time!
8. NYC Lavender Festival and Ju-Bee-Lee: Hive Dive on Governors Island - Get buzzzzy during a visit with a busy hive! Smoke the bees with fragrant lavender stems, learn about how a colony communicates, and makes delicious honey (you may even get to meet her highness, The Queen Bee).
Monday, June 21st
9. Make Music New York at The Alice Aycock Pavilion - Make Music New York is a unique festival of free concerts in public spaces throughout the five boroughs of New York City. All of the performances take place annually on June 21st, the first day of summer and the longest day of the year.
Tuesday, June 22nd
10. Eastside Westside Music Together - Mixed Ages (Birth - 5 years) Class @ Carl Schurz Park - Join us and become part of an amazing community of NYC families where you can make music with friends and witness your child's musicality blossom. Choose a weekly Zoom, indoor, or outdoor class and you'll also get access to weekly pre-recorded videos taught by our stellar crew of talented musician/teacher educators that you can watch at convenient times. Schedule a free trial Zoom class.