Check out the full event calendar here but below are my Top 10 picks for events and activities happening in and around the Upper East Side this week. Don't miss out on all the fun, and please be sure to let them know you saw it in Macaroni Kid NYC Upper East Side! Events are subject to change or cancellation. Please confirm events before attending.
TOP 10 for the Week
Friday, July 9th
1. Summer Sessions with Ms. Beck - Back by popular demand: Summer sessions with Ms. Beck! I’m a teacher with my master’s degree in education and this summer I’ll be offering daily small group sessions in Central Park. Space is limited so reserve your spot for our first session today! To learn more, send me a private message on Facebook or learn more about me at beckgoodman.com
Saturday, July 10th
2. Little Orchestra Society's Things That Go Bang @ Little Island - This lively percussion-based show will get Little Island’s tiniest audience members jamming out and making music in their seats. Performed by musicians from The New York Percussion Group, "Things That Go Bang" teaches all ages about sounds and rhythms through an interactive, orchestral concert performance. Get ready to see instruments big, small, and unusual! Guided by Professor Treblemaker and Conductor David Alan Miller, this musical adventure is sure to get you ready to take the stage yourself!
3. Pirate Party in Central Park - Yo-ho-ho! Join Curated Care for a fun filled morning! We'll decorate our own treasure chests, create friendship (matey ;) bracelets, and finish with a pirate themed freeze dance! Bring a picnic blanket or towel to set sail with your crew while enjoying socially distanced fun outdoors. Fun for ages 2 - 10!
Sunday, July 11th
4. Harlem Meer Performance Festival: Afro Dominicano Band @ Central Park - Afro Dominicano is a world-music band that creates what they call “Afro Caribbean soul.” Their pulsating and rhythmic blend of traditional folkloric roots music from the Dominican Republic—including perico ripiao, palo, merengue de orquesta, and bachata—with Afro beats, reggae, calypso, samba, funk, punk rock, and other African rhythms expertly goes beyond any one genre.
5. 24th Annual Sandcastle Contest - Build sandcastles at the 24th annual championship contest - or just take a look at the amazing sculptures emerging from the beach. Win prizes for several age categories. Bring buckets and tools. No experience necessary.
Monday, July 12th
6. Ping Pong @ Brookfield Place - Grab a paddle & play! Equipment is provided.
Tuesday, July 13th
7. StoryTime with Cali Co Cat @ Bryant Park - Cali Co Cat gets you jumpin’ and leapin’ with meowsic, games and stories to boot! Join us at the Upper Terrace, behind the NYPL, for this super fun and free storytime for kids, perfect for ages 2-8.
Wednesday, July 14th
8. Whitney Kids Art Club: Virginia Overton - Welcome to Whitney Kids Art Club! Join Whitney educators each week to complete a new artmaking project inspired by current exhibitions. Our programs aim to reach a neurodiverse audience with a wide range of learning styles and developmental stages. Tell a friend and join the club!
9. Bastille Day Celebration 2021 @ SummerStage in Central Park (French Institute) - In a first for New York City, the Consulate General of France in New York, the French Institute Alliance Française (FIAF), and the Committee of French Speaking Societies (CAFUSA) will present a special Bastille Day Celebration in Central Park. The free celebration of the French national holiday will start at 6:30pm on Wednesday, July 14 at SummerStage.
Thursday, July 15th
10. Manhattan Aardvarks- Mixed Ages Class @ Carl Schurz Park - Manhattan Aardvarks is an outdoor music class for babies, toddlers, and big kids living on the Upper East and Upper West Sides. Our classes incorporate a wide variety of musical activities including singing, dancing, musical storytelling, instrumental jam sessions, and musical puppet play. With influences of rock, folk, jazz, and pop, our completely original songs celebrate the lives of children growing up in New York City. The music is innovative, intelligent, and irresistibly appealing, led by a highly engaging teacher who entertains both kids and parents alike.