Check out the full event calendar here but below are my Top 10 picks for events and activities happening in and around the Upper East Side this week. Don't miss out on all the fun, and please be sure to let them know you saw it in Macaroni Kid NYC Upper East Side! Events are subject to change or cancellation. Please confirm events before attending.
TOP 10 for the Week
Friday, July 2nd
1. Virtual I Want To Be A Veterinarian! - Do you love animals? Are you interested in caring for them? Have you ever been curious about what being a Veterinarian looks like? Then come join in the fun of learning all about being a Veterinarian! In this class, we will look at different types of veterinary medicine, the tools, and technology they use, as well as the various animals that they care for. Such as small animal vets who mainly look at dogs and cats all the way to zoo vets who care for a wide variety of animals from all over the world! We will discover how to care for common and uncommon animals as well as play some fun games to test your new veterinary skills!
2. Citi Field Carnival - Enjoy holiday weekend fun at this family event featuring LED-enhanced rides and midway games for all ages, deep-fried treats, sweets, and other carnival eats.
Saturday, July 3rd
3. Boogie Down Storytime @ Randall's Island - An interactive read-aloud that incorporates mindful breathing, which helps build social-emotional skills, along with question and discussion activities that build community. Movement inspired by the week's book selection led by a children’s yoga teacher.
4. Family Art Project: Rewilding My Roots @ Wave Hill in The Bronx - Where are the wild places you feel free? Be inspired by artists exhibiting in the Glyndor Gallery and Sunroom Project Space, exploring the diverse ways the environment connects to their identity. Use your body to create a canvas to fill with the parts of nature that have helped make you who you are.
5. Restart Stages: Spanglish Fly @ Josie Robertson Plaza - Boogaloo Familia (featuring members of Spanglish Fly), is an interactive, bilingual musical history of Latin boogaloo, or bugalú. More than just a concert, it is designed to teach children—and their caregivers!—about this fun and culturally significant genre.
Sunday, July 4th
6. Nathan’s Famous International Hot Dog Eating Contest - Nathan’s Famous hot dogs. The world’s top competitive eaters. Ten minutes to glory. It all goes down on the Fourth of July at the corner of Surf and Stillwell.
7. Macy's 4th of July Fireworks - Macy’s Fourth of July Fireworks near the Brooklyn Bridge is the most impressive pyrotechnic event in the country. More than 60,000 fireworks are launched for 30 minutes making sure you get the best experience of this patriotic holiday. The show starts at around 9:00 pm. You can watch it from any place along the lower part of the East River with an unobstructed view of the sky or from below the bridge. It can actually get especially romantic if you bring a blanket and a picnic basket to enjoy the night out.
8. Travis 4th of July Parade - Travis hosts one of the oldest consecutive Independence Day celebrations in the United States. The festivities start at noon with a ceremony at Independence Park (Corner of Victory and Glenn Street).
Monday, July 5th
9. Virtual Frozen Drop-In Camp! (Singing, Dancing, Crafts, Performing) - Frozen Camp is perfect for your young princess-lovers, performers and artists! Over the course of the 5 day camp, kids will rehearse a Frozen performance for the last day of camp which includes acting, singing, and dancing, they will play games, make crafts that will be used during their show, and spend time with some of their favorite Frozen characters!
Tuesday, July 6th
10. Ramblin' Dan's Freewheelin' Band, (Outdoors, 0-4 yrs) in Central Park - At a Ramblin’ Dan music class, you'll hear everything from Rock N Roll, Reggae, Funk, Hip Hop, Folk, and Bluegrass. The music pulls from pop hits old and new, fun versions of well-known kids' songs and Ramblin' Dan's original kids' music. Using the music to lead the way, your bandleader will help your kids jam along on instruments, use various props for activities, read song-based books, learn sign language, do animal-play, and of course clap, dance, and sing along. For a ONE-OF-A-KIND musical experience for your child, come jam in Ramblin’ Dan’s Freewheelin’ Band!