Check out the full event calendar here but below are my Top 10 picks for events and activities happening in and around the Upper East Side this week. Don't miss out on all the fun, and please be sure to let them know you saw it in Macaroni Kid NYC Upper East Side! Events are subject to change or cancellation. Please confirm events before attending.
TOP 10 for the Week
Friday, August 27th
1. Sunset on the Hudson - One of HRPK’s longest-running music series, Sunset on the Hudson kicks off summer weekends just right—with local artists and performers bringing free concerts right to you. August 27 – Coco & Breezy – 14th Street Park.
Saturday, August 28th
2. Rock and Roll Playhouse Presented by Volvo: Afrobeat - A family concert series, presented by Volvo every Saturday in Summer. Rock n’ Roll Playhouse plays tunes from a rotating roster of artists for kids and adults too. Expect dancing, interactive games, and loads of fun.
3. Saturday Art Workshops at The Spur - Roll up your sleeves and express yourself through art. All are invited to our drop-in workshops, where you can paint, draw, sculpt, and more. We’ll provide everything you need—including support from the High Line Education team—you just need to bring your creativity.
4. Tugboat Rides on W.O. Decker - Take an exciting 75-minute ride on the last surviving New York-built wooden tugboat W.O. Decker, recently named “Tugboat of the Year” by the Steamship Historical Society of America. Cruises will explore New York Harbor, and views may include the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, the Battery, and Governors Island, as you set out on an adventure unlike any you’ve had before!
Sunday, August 29th
5. All-of-a-Kind Family Walking Tour with the Museum at Eldridge Street - Take the kids on a summer trip to the literary Lower East Side! Join us on this walking tour and follow in the footsteps of Ella, Henny, Sarah, Charlotte, and Gertie, the beloved sisters depicted in Sydney Taylor’s children’s classic All-of-a-Kind Family. Stroll through the story and into the streets to discover the spots where the girls played, prayed, and purchased pickles. Plus, we’ll share behind-the-scenes details that will make you love the book even more.
6. Art Alive for Families with Museum of Arts and Design - Join us for Art Alive, a drop-in gallery visit and art-making experience for kids and their families that takes place every Sunday. This Sunday, 2019 Artist Studio resident Chang Yuchen will be on the floor of Carrie Moyer and Sheila Pepe: Tabernacles for Trying Times facilitating discussions of Sheila Pepe's Common Sense. Visitors will also be invited to contribute to Chang's "Social Crochet" project inspired by the themes of queerness and resilience present in the exhibition. Discussions and activities are ongoing, so visitors can join at any time between 11am and 1pm and stay as long as they like.
Monday, August 30th
7. Arts, Culture & Fun: Drawing and Watercolor Workshops @ Robert McNair Playground - Join us for a drawing and watercolor workshop series in partnership with Seeds of the League. Artist Amberrose Venus-Gordon will lead a workshop teaching you how to draw and paint people and nature. All levels from beginners to advanced are welcome.
Tuesday, August 31st
8. Toddler Time at Washington Square Park - This event will take place outdoors at Washington Square Park. Specifically located at the alcove with park benches in Washington Square Park across from the Playground for Big Kids. Cancelations due to rain will be announced on the morning of the event via WSP's Twitter.
Tuesday, September 2nd
9. Look Who's Talking @ Carl Schurz - Get an early start exposing your child to language through songs, play, and language development techniques with certified speech-language pathologists from Look Who's Talking! Use learned techniques from the class to enhance your child’s communication skills in their everyday environment.
10. Wonderful Wednesdays: Car-free Night in Fort Tryon - Enjoy Fort Tryon Park free of vehicles! On Wonderful Wednesdays, Fort Tryon Park's drives/roadways are closed to vehicle traffic! Picnic, play, and enjoy performances and activities! Pack a picnic and get ready for extra space to relax and play! Free admission.