These super easy baked chicken chimichangas have it all, as far as I'm concerned: My family loves them, I always have leftovers for lunch the next day and, most importantly, they're super simple to make.
What's a chimichanga? A chimichanga is typically a fried burrito, with any number of fillings or toppings. Traditionally, a chimichanga is filled with rice, beans, meat, and cheese, similar to a burrito.
I like to bake my chimichangas though because it's healthier and easier to clean up. I simply brush the tops of the chimichangas with butter before placing them in the oven. Easy and delicious! Here's how I make them:
Simple Baked Chicken Chimichangas
- 2 chicken breasts cooked and cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup of mild salsa
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 burrito sized tortillas
- 1 tablespoon of melted butter
Optional additions: rice, beans, and any toppings your family enjoys.
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Combine cooked chicken, salsa, and cheddar cheese in a medium-sized bowl. Add rice and beans if you wish.
3. Place about a half cup of the mixture in each tortilla.
4. Fold in opposite ends of each tortilla and roll tightly.
5. Place on an oiled cookie sheet spaced apart and brush the tops of each chimichanga with melted butter.
6. Bake for 25 minutes.
7. Top with salsa, guacamole, shredded lettuce, or any other toppings your family loves.
Serve and enjoy!